International Summer School
Since 2011 the ARL Headquarters has cooperated with rotating partners from various European countries to organise an annual International Summer School. This gives up to 12 PhD students the opportunity to spend several days working intensively on a specific topic with experienced researchers. International knowledge exchanges and networks in the spatial sciences are thus strengthened and young researchers are promoted. The results speak for themselves: the summer schools have led to a number of high-quality English-language publications.
This year’s summer school (in cooperation with the University of Luxembourg / Department of Geography and Spatial Planning) will take place from 7 to 9 September 2020 in Luxembourg and will focus on the topic „Smart cities and beyond“.
Past International Summer Schools
- Europe and its Regions (2019 in cooperation with the Ministry of Federal and European Affairs and Regional Development and the Leibniz Research Centre “TRUST - Transdisciplinary Rural and Urban Spatial Transformation” at the Leibniz University Hannover (D))
- Small and medium-sized cities: New deal, new ways of dialogue? (2018 in cooperation with the University of Lille (F))
- Social Innovation in Urban and Regional Development (2017 in cooperation with the University of Vienna and the Austrian Academy of Sciences (A))
- Unpacking Spatial Planning as the Governance of Place (2016 in cooperation with Stockholm University (SE))
- Winners and losers: Why are the effects of regional policy so different? (2015 in cooperation with the University Ústí nad Labem / Czech Technical University in Prague (CZ))
- Global Urban Networks (2014 in cooperation with the University of Loughborough (UK))
- Sustainable Governance of Land and Water (2013 in cooperation with Utrecht University (NL))
- Multiculturalism in Spatial Development (2012 in cooperation with the Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava (SK))
- Spatial Development in Metropolitan Regions (2011 in cooperation with ETH Zurich (CH))